In the very heart of Orillia sits a fairy-tale building, and inside that building, legends are born. For over 117 years, the City has dreamed, laughed, wept and fought inside the Orillia Opera House. Many of the City’s defining moments have taken place under its landmark twin spires.
The Opera House was completed in 1895, described as “the finest building for corporation purposes of any town in Ontario” it became an immediate source of pride for Orillia. The auditorium had 905 seats with an exquisite wrap around balcony common to the formal Opera Houses of Europe, which might have contributed to its name. Renovations in the 1980’s brought upgrades to the public areas with a public elevator and air conditioning. Remedial structure work was undertaken, smoke pockets were installed and a lighting bridge was added to the auditorium.
The Opera House, known for its fine acoustics and has featured such artists as: the Marx Brothers, Glenn Gould, Oscar Peterson, k.d. lang, Mickey Rooney, Dan Hill, Liona Boyd, Blue Rodeo, George Canyon, Paul Brandt, Ron James, Manteca, Lighthouse, The Stampeders and Orillia’s very own, Gordon Lightfoot.
Since 1895 the Orillia Opera House has been bringing the best in local, national and international talent to its stages. From performances by living legends to our popular summer theatre series, there is always something happening that will entertain, educate and inspire.